I just calculated that in the last week I've walked about 28 miles (that's counting the 10 at Disneyland - no wonder your legs always ache after days like that). Trader Joe's is a mile away, Safeway even less, and downtown is maybe 1.5 miles. I haven't really ventured outside of Ballard yet, because everything I could possibly need is within walking distance (uh oh, I'm becoming like that creepy guy on "Sex in the City" who hadn't left Manhattan for ten years). On Monday I even walked to a lake. A LAKE!
An honest-to-goodness lake with water and bright blue sky above and ducklings in a row and thousands of people jogging around the perimeter at 6pm. There were two lanes on the path - one for bikes and the other for two directions of runners and joggers. I stood on the side farthest from the water. All I wanted was to go sit on the edge of the water and read my book about Washington history, but I would be risking life and limb to throw myself into that stream of moisture-wicking Nike garments and ipod armbands. I took a deep breath and ran across to what was left of the Green Lake Aqua Theater - built in 1950 for swimming / diving shows. The 5,000+ seat amphitheater's last event was a Grateful Dead concert in 1969, and after being mostly demolished all that's left today are two concrete bleachers. Runners were running up and down them like a training montage from a cheesy movie.


An honest-to-goodness lake with water and bright blue sky above and ducklings in a row and thousands of people jogging around the perimeter at 6pm. There were two lanes on the path - one for bikes and the other for two directions of runners and joggers. I stood on the side farthest from the water. All I wanted was to go sit on the edge of the water and read my book about Washington history, but I would be risking life and limb to throw myself into that stream of moisture-wicking Nike garments and ipod armbands. I took a deep breath and ran across to what was left of the Green Lake Aqua Theater - built in 1950 for swimming / diving shows. The 5,000+ seat amphitheater's last event was a Grateful Dead concert in 1969, and after being mostly demolished all that's left today are two concrete bleachers. Runners were running up and down them like a training montage from a cheesy movie.Once upon a time:

Nowadays (not my picture):





this looks so great!!! I've really been meaning to spend a summer in seattle.
ReplyDeleteHow lucky to be within walking distance of such a beautiful lake! Maybe you can rent a canoe, paddle out to the middle, and get lost in a good book.
ReplyDeleteThat was our lake during the summer. Dad would take Danny and I and a bunch of neighborhood kids to the lake for swimming when he would get home from work. I remember the aqua theater. Ester Williams type shows would be performed at night with colored lights and music. There was a small lagoon nearby where hobbists ran their model boats.
ReplyDeleteHow lucky you are to be there.-Jim
I love hearing about your new life and adventures! Sounds darling! How cute would it be to be a preschool teacher!?
ReplyDelete