Sunday, August 14, 2011

Yesterday I went for an evening walk around Greenlake and was thinking that I complain about Seattle a lot, but I really do think it's an incredible city. Inspired by Emily's post (but I was totally thinking of it first, so whatever), here are my top favorite things about Seattle -- in the order I think of them.

1. The pace of life.
Despite a culture chock-full of gourmet coffee shops, artisan roasts, fair trade beans, and espresso-tastings, Seattle is incredibly laid back. People saunter down the street with their dogs, stopping to chat with neighbors; sit around bonfires at Golden Gardens; hang out for hours watching the Seahawks game at local pubs.


2. Pets.
People love their pets here, and I get to benefit from it without having to own one myself. Co-workers bring their dogs to work, you can't walk a block without a neighborhood cat coming to beg for a pet (before I sat down just now, I met a fat tabby outside my apartment I called Gregory. He would not let me go, but kept rubbing back and forth against my legs. When I finally went inside the glass front door, he sat outside looking in confusedly). It's really relaxing and comforting to have friendly animals around. Plus, just go to the Ballard Farmers Market any Sunday to see the cutest dogs you have ever seen in your life -- waddling French Bulldog puppies, shy-looking Akitas, stout strutting Corgis...

3. Seasons.
Those cheeky souvenir postcards would have you believe that the four seasons in Seattle are gloomy, gloomy, gloomy, and gloomy. But it's still better than Southern California. I spent my first fall in a state of shock over all the colorful trees. Winter actually feels like Christmas time in the movies (sans tons of snow). My first spring was also spent oohing and ahhing over all the gorgeous trees that just explode into so many blossoms that I want to just pat them all like a fat baby's cheeks (I get weird around flowers -- keep hydrangeas and dahlias away from me because I have to touch them. They're so poofy!). Summer, when it finally comes, is astounding -- all the colors are brighter, everything practically sparkles, and those perfect sunset hours last until 9pm.

1 comment: