Business man and business woman start their days at different points, the camera trades time between the two of them as they make their way through a crowded city street, coming from opposite directions. They pass within inches of each other. Rewind to that morning, new scenario. Here we see the man put on one of the watches they're trying to sell. It's so accurate, so precise, that when we watch them walking down the street again, he's a second ahead and bumps into the woman. We are to assume that this is his soulmate and he never would have met her if his watch had been slower. (Side note, this concept terrified me when I first saw the commercial and kept coming back to haunt me in the years that followed. Doesn't it often feel like you've got your timing all wrong?)
I wish I had film-making skills, because yesterday I started thinking about how I want to remake this commercial for the digital age. Instead of the watch thing, he doesn't see her because he constantly has his face in his damn iPhone. He doesn't see anything. The tag line would be something like Life: you're missing it.




that reminds me of this add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqwnyVRWRd4
ReplyDelete