Sunday, September 12, 2010

In Which I Go Over the Mountain to See What I Can See

Today I drove East and kept driving East to see what I could see. Eventually, I passed a sign that said "SNOQUALMIE FALLS NEXT EXIT." Just the type of thing I was looking for. So I flicked my turn signal on and drove out past some brand new developments, eventually reaching the falls. The tourists were out in full force; Indian families browsing through postcards in the gift shop, Asian teenagers taking picture after picture, old people in wheelchairs, and toddlers chasing each other underfoot.

I couldn't believe my luck to have stumbled onto something so incredible. 268 feet of roaring water freefalling to the river below, 100 feet higher than Niagra Falls. The Salish Lodge & Spa is perched right at the edge, settled among pines and deciduous trees just beginning to change into fall colors. I took some photos that I'll post if they turn out and if I ever finish this roll.

Past the falls, the road wound down to Highway 203 -- flat and sunny fields of corn and flowers. I wanted to drive slowly to appreciate the country, but had to zoom uncomfortably fast past vegetable stands and pick-your-own blueberries farms.

On my way back, I happened upon the Railway Museum at 4:59 (it closed at 5), but the old disintegrating rail cars outside were interesting to look at and read about. They used to transport animals like sheep in those slated box cars (the slats were for ventilation because so many animals died in the enclosed cars). It was expected that 6-9% of your "product" would be lost in transit (as in, die), but once refrigerated cars (the "reefers") became common, it was more economical to just transport the meat instead of the whole doomed animal.

1 comment:

  1. Love those falls! Aunt Julie and girls took us up there years ago.

    ReplyDelete