Thursday, December 31, 2009

I have to admit that I'm sad to bid farewell to a year that has most of the country screaming "good riddance." 2009 has been one of my best years ever: the year I got my first real job (I can't imagine working for a better company), the year I moved to the first city (outside San Luis Obispo) I've really felt at home. I never imagined it was possible for things to change so much in a year.

Every year our neighbors (in Encinitas) have a pancake breakfast on New Years morning. Since I was living at home at this time last year, I accompanied my parents as we walked down the street. We were almost at the house where delicious steaming stacks of pancakes, fruit, real maple syrup, and scrambled eggs were waiting, when another middle-aged couple fell into step with us and introduced themselves. Making friendly small-talk, they asked me What I Do.

This was one of the lowest points in my life. I had no job, no plans for the future, and was living at home in a town where I felt out of place and had no friends. I couldn't bring myself to admit these things for the thousandth time - even to myself. And I realized I would have to face dozens of other people asking me the same question at the breakfast. Suddenly I couldn't breathe.

"I can't do this" I mumbled to my parents. And before they could react, I turned and ran all the way home - my footsteps matching time with my racing heart.

What a difference a year makes. Here's to a happy and healthy 2010 - especially to those who were bruised by 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment