Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Deep in Bear Country

I'm reading Stan and Jan Berenstain's autobiography. It's kind of awkwardly-written, but the most interesting aspect is their unique insider's perspective of Dr. Seuss. I never knew he was such an indispensable in their writing process -- I mean he practically wrote their first book (The Big Honey Hunt). After acquiring an agent, the agent sets them up with a group headed by Ted Geisel. Their portrayal of this opinionated (but usually spot-on) zany curmudgeon is really the highlight of the book so far. After the release of that first title, Mr. and Mrs. B. are eager to write more about the bear family, but while swigging bullshots (beef bullion + vodka) Ted Geisel urges them to avoid a series ("there are already too many bears"). Thankfully for us all, people loved Papa Q. Bear and "Small Bear" so much that Dr. S. was forced to acknowledge that they should continue down that sunny dirt road.I got sidetracked looking for a picture to include here. Google "Berenstain Bears" for some hilarious results. There are dozens of new titles out I hadn't seen, including a bizarre bunch like The Berenstain Bears and God Loves You!, The Berenstain Bears and the Big Question, and The Berenstain Bears Say Their Prayers. What the hell?

1 comment:

  1. hahaha i remember seeing the "big question" one in a bookstore not too long ago and thinking the same thing too! When did they get all religious? I though they were about having manners and not eating junk food....

    ReplyDelete