Saturday, November 24, 2012

In keeping with "tradition," I guess it's about time that I write down my ten favorite books this year. I don't think I read as much or as many good books as last year, but here are some of my favorites:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. My friend Amy thought this was about Bernadette Peters, which I'm sorry to say it is not (and Ms. Peters has not penned an autobiography--get on that, Bernadette!). This is a novel that centers on a quirky family in Seattle (a little Wes Anderson, perhaps?). My favorite part was how packed this was with every possible local reference. I saw the author speak at Portland's Wordstock festival and she said the book began after a friend was tired of hearing her complain about how much she hated Seattle (after moving from LA). He (she?) said, "Maria, you have to create or you'll become a menace to society!" (this became a theme of the book). I got excited for it after learning the author wrote for "Arrested Development" and after seeing this trailer featuring many of the local booksellers I work with!

Cast Member Confidential by Chris Mitchell. I get into these moods where I seek out anything I can find about Disney and Disneyland and in one of these fits I placed an order on this book at the library. It came as a grungy paperback whose pages were flayed and grey at the corners, but I really enjoyed it. I was surprised I couldn't put it down, considering the often jaded tone the author takes. But ultimately, he's touched by his experience as a Disney World photographer and understands why people get sucked into the "magical" experience. Learned a lot of interesting backstage secrets (that he isn't legally restricted from divulging, given his position as a photographer is contract and not technically a Disney employee).

Vikings in the Attic by Eric Dregni. I love reading anything about my Scandinavian ancestors, especially their kitchy history in America--like this non-fiction book illustrates.







Agorafabulous! by Sara Benincasa. This comedienne did these hilarious Sarah Palin parody videos back in 2008, but I sort of lost track of her after that. 2011/2012 seemed like the year of comedian memoirs: Bossypants, Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, etc. I read several of them, and this one was my favorite--even when Benincasa describes going through extreme agoraphobia and peeing in bowls in her bedroom because she's scared to go into the bathroom. Yes.






Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton. Awesome collection of artist Kate Beaton's (mostly historical) comics. Love, love, love her.

Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. A tiny little book that packs some tasty, strong-brewed advice about being creative and inspired. I HATE self-help books, and this is not a self-help book. It's just little tips about how to express yourself in bite-size chapters. After all, "You have to create or you'll become a menace to society!"

Well, that's six. Nothing else really belongs on this list, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment