Friday, June 1, 2012

(My friend Sarah Plein made this!)


Thinking about death this week.

That sounds morbid, I know.

Last weekend a local man, a father and philanthropist, happened to be driving through the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time and was hit by a stray gang bullet with his entire family in the car. My former boss was driving right behind him.

On Tuesday, Emily texted to tell me that a boy we used to do plays with passed away. I was really surprised how shocked and sad I felt about someone I was never close with and hadn't seen for probably seven or eight years. The last time I saw him was at the beach with Emily. I have been fortunate not to know many people who have died -- especially young people, and I just can't wrap my mind around how something can be there and then...not. It seems like such a fine line.

On Wednesday morning, I began seeing news online about a mass shooting that broke out in the University District. A man just walked into a cafe and started shooting indiscriminately. Two people were killed immediately, while three others were in critical condition. Downtown, the same day, a woman was pulled out of her car in a parking lot and beat up -- then held down and shot dead at close range. Both killers were at large and schools went on lockdown. All over Seattle, people were glued to their computers watching the news and scared to walk outside. Eventually, they found out that it was the same guy and he shot himself when confronted by police in West Seattle, but I don't think he died. Total death count: currently five people.

Today on Facebook I found out a friend of friends (from college) passed away too. I just remember him dancing around his house passing out mint ice cream cake (of course I would remember that detail) in a GILF t-shirt...

So this is what type of week it's been. Love each other as much as you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment