Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Thoughts on E-Books

...demonstrated by an excerpt from The Patchwork Girl of Oz

"That," announced the Shaggy Man, "is a square meal, in condensed form. Invention of the great Professor Woggle-Bug, of the Royal College of Athletics. It contains soup, fish, roast meat, salad, apple-dumplings, ice cream and chocolate-drops, all boiled down to this small size, so it can be conveniently carried and swallowed when you are hungry and need a square meal."

"I'm square," said the Woozy. "Give me one, please."

So the Shaggy Man gave the Woozy a tablet from his bottle and the beast ate it in a twinkling.

"You have now had a six course dinner," declared the Shaggy Man.

"Pshaw!" said the Woozy, ungratefully, "I want to taste something. There's no fun in that sort of eating."

"One should only eat to sustain life," replied the Shaggy Man, "and that tablet is equal to a peck of other food."

"I don't care for it. I want something I can chew and taste," grumbled the Woozy.

1 comment:

  1. It does seem parallel. I like the feel and smell of paper books. I can see the advantage of e-readers, but they are different than books.

    Also, now you've made me want to re-read the Oz books! The Patchwork Girl is one of my favorites from the series.

    ReplyDelete