You've been there. You're talking to an acquaintance and within the first five seconds she manages to mention her boyfriend at least twice. "We like sushi," she says, "we think Dane Cook is hilarious!"
I can't describe the reason behind my aversion to "we"ing too soon (or possibly ever) in a relationship. It's staking a claim on someone else's entire identity and fusing it to your own. It makes me sick to my stomach.
So when Emily and I were in the Elliot Bay Bookstore today, I was appauled to find that I've become one of those detested girls. But I wasn't "we"ing a boy, rather the company I work for. I kept pointing to books on the shelves: "We're promoting this right now." "This is one of our new titles for Fall 09." "We publish this book."
"Uh oh, Emily," I cringed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




haha nothing wrong with liking your job! i prob do that too :(
ReplyDeleteyay i'm in your blog! oh and i love your title.
ReplyDeleteHi Haley, this is Jeff's old roommate Nick Schmidt. I came and visited him this weekend in SF and regretfully left my gmail logged in, so hello!
ReplyDeletei woke up yesterday and found a thought bubble hovering overhead. I tried to read it in the mirror but it was backwards, it said, "?loohcS darG rof WU ot og I dluohS"
ReplyDeleteHi Nick!!
ReplyDeleteJeff, your new thought bubble should read "!!seY" Mine is wondering, "?yduts uoy dluow tahW"
ps extraverts are more likely to "we" than introverts :)
ReplyDelete